Studying together, going to student parties together, graduating together. Being together is an important part of a student’s life. Yet, our current society is pushing students to find alternatives for their lifestyle during this period. That can be hard sometimes. STAN sees these students, even though it might not be face-to-face for a while. So, we decided to ask our very own STANciens – the students who work with us – and the rest of the student community in Antwerp. Here you can read how they deal with this time and how high the speeds in their student barometer are running.
Online all day, every day
Online parties have become increasingly popular during Corona times: raising a glass together, virtual afternoon drinks, the sky is the limit! This new trend hasn’t escaped students, Antar Latifine explains: “My ultimate friend and savior during this lockdown are my smartphone and FaceTime. Without apps for video chatting or calling, this would’ve been much harder for me. Now, I spend at least 2 hours a day talking to my best friends.” Laika Planchenault also finds comfort in today’s online possibilities: “Fortunately, I hear from my friends every day through Whatsapp, and my agenda is fully booked with video calls. I miss them all so much but at the same time I’m happy we can stay in touch through social media.”
How can STAN help you?
STAN doesn’t just see you, STAN wants to connect you, get in touch with each other as well as us, and pull you through this unusual time. That’s why we’ve compiled the following tips to deal with the emotions you might be feeling right now. If there’s anything you’re dealing with right now or if a problem hasn’t been covered, share it with us. This way we can see what we can do for you. Suggestions regarding things we should add, are always welcome.
- Take a break from your everyday life and listen to audio stories from students of AP Hogeschool.
- Relax and learn a new skill. How about guitar? Follow Nico Couck’s free guitar lessons on YouTube.
- Keep an eye out on Facebook for online exam info sessions by the different student clubs from faculties to relieve your anxiety about exams/school.
- Read news and tips from our student-editorial team.
- The ZOO of Antwerp has reopened since May 18. Feeling lonely? The adorable animals will definitely make you feel less alone.
- Write your heart out and join the #schrijfinuwkot of Lingua.
- Check the different apps that allow you to video call with friends and play games at the same time, for example Houseparty!
- Relax and count to 10 during a walk through one of Antwerp’s beautiful parks (Brilschanspark, Rivierenhof, …)
- Ground yourself by taking online yoga- and meditation courses through the Antwerp based yoga school Surya.
- Release your anger and work on your summer body with Jotka Bauwens through her YouTube-channel FITplusTIP met JOT.
- Apply for Antwerpen Helpt and do something kind for a fellow human.
- Support local businesses and order take-out from your favorite restaurant (at many restaurants and small catering businesses you can still pick up meals).
- Regularly check vanuituwkot.be: an initiative by UAntwerpen and a platform to, as they put it, “meet, help and inspire each other”